I was tagged to do this by Jess at Blogging Everything Beautiful ages ago but promptly forgot it until Larkin at Wonderfilled Reads tagged me more recently, which is a shame because I always really enjoyed tags that have bloggers list some facts about themselves!
Personally, getting to know the blogger is always as fun as getting to know the blog (if not more fun), so I hope you enjoy this post. ❤
- Show the award on your blog.
- Thank the person who has nominated you.
- Share 7 different facts about yourself.
- Nominate a few blogs of your choice.
- Link your nominees to let them know of your choice.
1) I used to write fanfiction.
When I was 12-13 years old I watched Naruto and became TOTALLY obsessed with the series, and I started writing fanfiction because I wasn’t happy with the amount of screentime my favourite characters were getting. I went on to ship Neji and Tenten (at which point most people would be like, Tenten who?) and wrote tons of stuff for them.
Later I also wrote fanfiction for Bleach, Kuragehime, Harry Potter, and other titles. You can see all my work (my pride and shame) here.
2) I used to play otome games.
An otome game (乙女ゲーム otome gēmu?, literally “maiden game”) is a story based video game that is targeted towards the female market. Generally one of the goals, besides the main plot goal, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female player character and one of several male, or occasionally female characters. — Wikipedia
During my last year of uni, I was totally obsessed with playing otome games — essentially dating sims in visual novel format: you play as a girl and you have several characters you can go for. My Tumblr is wholly dedicated to it, and my favourite love interest is Riki Yanase from Love Letter from Thief X. You guessed it: he’s an art thief, super ‘hot’, and just the quintessential bad boy figure. #forshamereg
3) I’m not a huge movie person.
I like them, but I’m not very dedicated to watching them. I haven’t seen tons of the biggest must-sees: Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, The Hobbit, American Psycho, The Shawshank Redemption, Inglourious Basterds, Star Trek, all Star Wars except Episode IV…
Basically I don’t really watch any ‘serious’ stuff and tend to go for light-hearted titles. Name a romantic comedy and I’ve probably watched it. I’m not super big on romantic dramas either. 😛
4) I’m a third-culture kid.
I was born in Indonesia but my family is Chinese and I spent my ‘adulting’ years in Australia. Culturally (and to my parents’ utter disgust and disappointment) I’m much, much more Australian than I am Indonesian, but there are also certain preferences I hold on to that are probably more Chinese-influenced than anything else.
I think of Australia as home but I feel—and probably forever will feel—guilty not coming back to Indonesia, but I love the former too much to voluntarily leave.
5) I’ve always found it really strange that it’s called an ‘award’ and yet we’re required to nominate it to other people.
No one took Leonardo diCaprio aside when he (FINALLY) won the Oscar and told him he has to nominate 15 other people for Best Actor last February! These awards are certainly in good spirit, but I think it should have been called a ‘tag’ — and yes, this is me being pedantic. 😛
6) My great loves: Pokemon, The Sims, and Friends.
I revisit all three things annually. Every year, I restart a game of Pokemon (normally FireRed because it’s so close to my heart), play through ten generations of a sim family in The Sims 2, and rewatch all ten seasons, 236 episodes of Friends.
7) I love reading internet advice columns.
It’s mostly because it gives me perspective: everyone has problems, and I’m not alone in them. These three are my big favourites:
- /r/relationships — for when you want to chill and just bask in the drama that is other people’s lives.
- Captain Awkward — for scripts of what to say in difficult situations and more or less gentle but objective advice.
- Dear Sugar — for Cheryl Strayed’s gorgeous, gorgeous way of describing love, loss and life.
- Sara @ Freadom Library
- Lois @ My Midnight Musing
- Windie @ Geek Apprentice
- Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane
- Kim @ Dreaming of Espresso
- Beth @ Reading Every Night
- Ari @ The Daydreaming Bookworm
- Kat @ Life and Other Disasters
- Rinchen @ Readergirl, Delhi
- Trisha @ The Bookgasm Blog
- Calliope @ Calliope The Book Goddess
- Ayunda @ Tea and Paperbacks
- Kirstie @ Upside-Down Books
- Bea @ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
- Everyone else who hasn’t — I would love to hear more about you!
Thanks for reading, guys! ❤